Here are some of the engineering projects highlights of October 2023:
- Foothill Gold Line Project Update, Los Angeles, CA: The Foothill Gold Line is a 12.6-mile light rail line that will connect Pasadena to Azusa, California. The project is currently under construction and is scheduled to open in 2026. In October 2023, the project reached a major milestone with the completion of the first segment of track.
- James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) Uncovers New Exoplanet: The JWST has made its first discovery of an exoplanet, a planet orbiting another star. The exoplanet is named WASP-96 b and is a gas giant located about 1,150 light-years from Earth. The discovery of WASP-96 b is a significant milestone for the JWST, which is the most powerful and sophisticated telescope ever built.
- World’s Largest Floating Solar Farm Opens in Portugal: The world’s largest floating solar farm opened in Portugal in October 2023. The farm is located on the Alqueva Dam and has a capacity of 5 MW. The farm will generate enough electricity to power 1,500 homes and is expected to reduce Portugal’s carbon emissions by 11,000 tons per year.
- New 3D-Printed Bridge Opens in the Netherlands: The world’s first 3D-printed steel bridge opened in the Netherlands in October 2023. The bridge is located in the city of Gemert and is 12 meters long. The bridge was 3D-printed in six sections and took three months to build. It is expected to last for at least 30 years.
- New Hyperloop Test Track Opens in Spain: A new hyperloop test track opened in Spain in October 2023. The track is located in the city of Malaga and is 600 meters long. It is the longest hyperloop test track in the world and is expected to accelerate the development of hyperloop technology.
These are just a few of the many engineering projects that are making headlines in October 2023. Engineers are working on a wide range of projects to improve our lives and make the world a better place.